I’ve just released MKVToolNix v31.0.0 which fixes a couple of issues, especially drag & drop support in combination with Qt 5.12 and newer. Note that the addition of flushing cached data on closing files introduced in v30 has been reverted due to detrimental behavior; an additional command line option has been added to make mkvmerge flush its buffers for those who need it.
Nothing has changed for package managers since v30.1.0.
You can download the source code or one of the binaries. The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are stil being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.
Here are the NEWS since the previous release:
New features and enhancements
- all programs: added a new option
--abort-on-warningsthat will cause the
program to abort after it has emitted the first warning, similar to how it
aborts after the first error. Implements #2493.
- mkvmerge, mkvextract: when closing files that were opened for writing,
cached data will not be flushed to storage automatically anymore. This
reverts the workaround implemented for #2469. A new option was added to both
--flush-on-close) that re-enables flushing for people who are
affected by data loss such as described in #2469.
The reason is that automatic flushing causes long delays in processing
queues when the output by mkvmerge/mkvextract isn’t the final product but
just an intermediate result to be processed further.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the dialog previewing different character sets
for text subtitles will now keep the position of the displayed text when
switching between character sets. Implements #2489.
- mkvmerge: AVI reader: using DV type 1 AVIs will now result in an unsupported
file type being reported (as the underlying AVI library doesn’t support
them) instead of crashing mkvmerge. Fixes #2491.
- mkvmerge: HEVC: the height of interlaced streams will now be set correctly
to the height of the full frame instead of the height of a single interlaced
field. Fixes #2446.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: edit lists consisting solely of elements that mkvmerge
doesn’t support (such as dwells) are simply ignored. Before no data was read
for such tracks at all. Fixes #2487.
- mkvmerge: text subtitles: entries with an explicit duration of 0ms will now
be handled correctly: the 0ms duration will be stored in Matroska instead of
the difference between the current and the following entry. Fixes #2490.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer, chapter editor: fixed drag & drop handling with
Qt 5.12.0 and newer. Fixes #2472.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the GUI did not clean up temporary files
created when running
mkvmerge. Fixes #2499.
Build system changes
- Qt 5.4.0 or newer has required (up from 5.3.0) since version 30.0.0; I just
forgot to include this entry.
Have fun :)