It’s time for MKVToolNix v21.0.0. The biggest change is that mkvinfo’s GUI portion has been removed. Its functionality is now incorporated into MKVToolNix GUI. I am aware that the functionatliy isn’t on par yet, but it will be in time for release v22.0.0.
You can download the source code or one of the binaries. The Windows and macOS binaries are available already. The Linux binaries are stil being built and will be available of the course of the next couple of hours.
Here are the NEWS since the previous release:
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge: track statistics tags: the
TagDefaultelement will not be written anymore as it was always set to the default value
1anyway. Implements #2202.
- mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI: JSON files can now contain C++-style line comments outside of strings (e.g. something like this:
// this is ignored). Such comments, even though not part of the official JSON specifications, are now ignored when reading JSON files.
- MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: opening a Matroska file without chapters in it will now open the file in an empty chapter editor instead of showing an error message. Implements #2218.
- MKVToolNix GUI: an "info" tool has been added, replacing the functionality of mkvinfo’s GUI. The functionality is not on par yet but will be for release v22. Implements most of the functionality of #2104.
- build system:
--disable-addrsanthe same as
--enable-addrsan. Fixes #2199.
- build system: an error message is output if a command to execute is not found instead of silently failing.
- build system: in addition to looking for the
gettextC function and library,
configurenow also verifies the presence of the
msgfmtprogram instead of simply relying on it.
- mkvmerge: appending files with additional parts at the same time was broken if more than one additional part was appended (e.g. when appending files from DVDs with something like
'(' VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_01_2.VOB ')' + '(' VTS_02_1.VOB VTS_02_2.VOB ')'). In such a situation the content from files
VTS_02_2.VOBwhere laid out in parallel to the content from the earlier files.
- mkvmerge: FLV reader: a single invalid AAC frame was written for AAC audio tracks with codec initialization data longer than five bytes.
- mkvmerge: FLV reader: timestamps will be normalized down to 0. Fixes #2220.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: if an AAC track doesn’t contain an AAC-specific decoder configuration in the ESDS portion, then a default decoder configuration will be generated based on the track’s header data instead of skipping the track. Fixes #2221.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: fixed reading HEVC/h.265 video tracks if they’re stored as Annex B byte streams inside MP4. Fixes #2215.
- mkvmerge: Ogg Opus reader: mkvmerge will now emit a warning instead of aborting when it encounters an Ogg Opus page with no data in the packet. Fixes #2217.
- mkvmerge, mkvextract: Matroska parser: fixed a segmentation fault that occurred whenever the first level 1 element after resyncing after an error in the file structure isn’t a cluster. Fixes #2211.
- mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI multiplexer & header editor: fixed a crash during file type detection for attachments if MKVToolNix is installed in a path with non-ASCII characters (e.g. German Umlauts). Fixes #2212.
- mkvinfo: the
--hex-positionsparameter did nothing in summary mode.
- mkvinfo: Windows: line endings will be written as
\r(carriage return & line feed) again instead of just
- mkvpropedit: adding track statistics tags: for tracks with content encoding (compression) mkvpropedit is now accounting the uncompressed number of bytes, not the encoded (compressed) number of bytes. Fixes #2200.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the subtitle character set can now be set for appended subtitle files, too. Fixes #2214.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when appending, all tracks appended to disabled tracks will start out disabled, too.
Build system changes
- mkvinfo: the GUI portion has been removed. mkvinfo is now a pure command-line program again.
Have fun :)