Time for another release. Again nothing major, just some bug fixing & adding a simple converter from timed-text to Matroska’s simple format (SRT-like).
You can download the source code or one of the binaries. The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are stil being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.
Here are the NEWS since the previous release:
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: mkvmerge will now read Timed Text (FourCC
tx3g) subtitle tracks & convert them on the fly to Matroska’s simple text subtitle format (
S_TEXT/UTF8; text only, no styles). Implements #2208, #2242, #2613, #3000, #3243, #3418 and possibly others.
- all: switched back to using
boost::filesystemfunctions for creating directories instead of the ones introduced to work around bugs in
std::filesystem. The latter didn’t work correctly with UNC paths after the switch to
boost::filesystem::pathin v74. Fixes #3483.
- mkvmerge: VobSub reader: mkvmerge will now probe the
.idxfile during VobSub identification even if the
.subfile is passed as the source. Avoids mis-detection of the
.subas MPEG program streams. Fixes #3489.
- MKVToolNix GUI: the GUI could abort with an exception on startup while looking for the
mediainfoexecutables due to inaccessible folders. Fixes #3481.
- MKVToolNix GUI: preferences: when opening the preferences the first time the UI might pre-select the first entry in the list of interface languages if the operating system’s language is not available for MKVToolNix. This might also happen on Linux if e.g.
en_GBis set, even though
en_USis available. Now English (
en_US) will be selected instead. Fixes #3486.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when adding files the GUI has special handling for chapter/tags/segment info files. This is done by comparing their content to certain patterns. This recognition could wrongfully be triggered if any such file was embedded in another file verbatim, e.g. with a chapter XML file attachment in a Matroska file. When trying to add that Matroska file, the GUI would treat it as a chapter file instead of a regular one. This content-based detection was fixed. Fixes #3487.
- mkvpropedit, GUI’s header editor: removed support for the deprecated “minimum cache” & “maximum cache” track header elements.
Have fun! 😁