MKVToolNix v71 is out, bringing some more maintenance, but fixes, partial support for the latest Matroska elements. Partial in the sense that the GUI’s chapter editor still needs to be updated for the new elements used for naming/titling editions (similar to how atoms can already be named). This will come in the next release.
A couple of notes for package maintainers: the latest releases of libEBML (v1.4.4) & libMatroska (v1.7.1) are required. They’re also bundled, as usual. Those two releases were made on the same day as this MKVToolNix release: 2022-10-08. They should restore ABI compatibility with libEBML v1.4.2 & libMatroska v1.6.3 respectively, which we accidentally broke with last week’s releases (the bad ones: libEBML v1.4.3 & libMatroska v1.7.0).
You can download the source code or one of the binaries. The Windows binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The macOS binaries & the other Linux binaries are stil being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.
Here are the NEWS since the previous release:
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI’s multiplexer: added support for the Emphasis audio track header element via the
--audio-emphasisoption. It is also read from Matroska files.
- mkvmerge: the options
--list-audio-emphasishave been added to list all support numerical & textual values for the
- mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI’s header editor: added support for the Emphasis audio track header element via the
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when the track properties are configured to be displayed in a tab widget below the files & tracks in the “Input” tab, the “Color information” tab will be laid out in two columns. This reduces the minimum height the whole tab widget requires. Implements #3401.
- MKVToolNix GUI: greatly sped up closing the preferences dialog by only re-running certain initialization functions when their corresponding settings have changed. Also fixes issues such as #3406.
- mkvinfo, MKVToolNix GUI’s info tool: added support for the following new elements from Matroska v5: Emphasis audio track header element; Chapter Skip Type; Edition Display; Edition String; Edition Language IETF.
- mkvmerge, mkvpropedit: added support for the following new chapter elements from Matroska v5: Chapter Skip Type; Edition Display; Edition String; Edition Language IETF. The GUI’s chapter editor will receive support for them in the next release.
- mkvmerge: Ogg/OGM reader: mkvmerge will now correctly skip tracks of unsupported types as well as tracks for which all track header pages haven’t been found. Fixes #3394.
Build system changes
- libEBML 1.4.4 & libMatroska 1.7.1 are now required.
- The bundled libEBML & libMatroska libraries were updated to v1.4.4 & v1.7.1 respectively.
- The bundled
fmtlibrary was updated to v9.1.0.
- The bundled
nlohmann-jsonlibrary was updated to v3.11.2.
Have fun 😁