After three months of not being motivated to spend a significant amount of time on coding outside of work, I finally found some of that motivation again. The result is release v52.0.0 of MKVToolNix. It contains a couple of enhancements to the GUI and one bug fix in libEBML that’s security-sensitive.
You can download the source code or one of the binaries. The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are stil being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.
Here are the NEWS since the previous release:
New features and enhancements
- MKVToolNix GUI: job queue: the maximum number of jobs to run concurrently can now be increased in the preferences. The default remains at 1. Implements #2984.
- MKVToolNix GUI: the GUI will now add a context-specific default extension to file names selected for saving on platforms that don’t add one itself (e.g. GNOME). For example, when saving multiplexer settings the extension
.mtxcfgwill be added. Implements #2983.
- MKVToolNix GUI: added an option to the preferences for the window to stay on top of other windows. Implements #2967.
- mkvextract: h.265/HEVC extraction: the code for skipping extraction of prefix SEI NALUs in the first frame was skipping two bytes too few, resulting in broken processing of all following bytes. Patch by Mike Chen.
- libEBML: the optional, bundled version of libEBML was updated to v1.4.1.
Build system changes
- libEBML v1.4.1 is now required due to a bug in libEBML that caused pointers to just-freed memory being returned to the caller under certain invalid data constellations, causing use-after-free errors in all of MKVToolNix’s programs. Fixes #2989.
Have fun :)