MKVToolNix v43.0.0 released

Hey y’all,

let’s do a second release in January, fixing a couple of annoyances that crept in lately. Just a smaller maintenance release; nothing earth shattering. But see for yourself down below.

Nothing’s changed for package managers.

You can download the source code or one of the binaries. The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are stil being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

New features and enhancements

  • MKVToolNix GUI: using one of the command line options --info,
    --edit-headers or --edit-chapters will make the GUI select the
    corresponding tool on startup even if no further file name is
    given. Implements #2723.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added a setting in the preferences for changing
    the location of the MediaInfo executable for when the user accidentally
    selected the wrong one.

Bug fixes

  • mkvmerge: AVC/h.264 parser: the order of the NALUs before each key frame was
    sometimes wrong: mkvmerge wrote SPS & PPS after SEI NALUs. Now SPS & PPS
    NALUs are always written before the other NALUs. Patch by Torsten
    Hauska. Part of the implementation of #2709 and part of the fix of #2250.
  • mkvmerge: AVC/h.264 parser: when additional SPS or PPS NALUs (with IDs that
    haven’t been seen so far) are found mid-stream, mkvmerge will prepend all
    following key frames with all current valid SPS & PPS NALUs (just like when
    SPS & PPS NALUs are overwritten mid-stream). Part of the fix of #2250.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: fixed detection of MPEG-1/2 video tracks
    consisting of very few frames. Fixes #2732.
  • mkvmerge: Ogg Opus reader: fixed the handling of Ogg Opus streams that
    contain a just one Ogg page (mkvmerge aborted with an exception). Fixes
    #2722.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: dragging & dropping XML files with chapters or
    tags to the GUI’s window was broken in v42. Instead of adding the file names
    to the appropriate input boxes the GUI was running mkvmerge for file
    identification purposes which then failed. Fixes #2718.

Have fun :)

4 thoughts on “MKVToolNix v43.0.0 released

  1. Raymond Clements

    Hello,
    Is there a version of MKVToolNix that will recognize Netflix’s “Timed Text” subtitles inside an MP4 container?

    Reply
    1. mosu Post author

      No, MKVToolNix doesn’t support timed-text subtitles at the moment (neither does Matroska; therefore mkvmerge would have to convert them into one of the supported formats on the fly; nothing I want to spend time on at the moment).

      BTW: timed-text subtitles are an ISO standard, nothing Netflix-specific about them.

      Reply
      1. Alex

        Hey,
        maybe you can help me or give me a hint. i used the macos version of mkvtoolnix. If i convert a wave to ac3 with the compressor app, because adobe wont support dolby anymore and want to mux it, mkvtoolnix show me the ac3 is a videofile. I can choose in the encoding setting audio ac3, video ac3 or normal but always the same result. if i used a vm with eac3to all works fines.

        Other problem with ec3/eac3 if i convert a wave file to dd+ ec3 and rename the file to eac3 mkvtoolnix say not supported. i cant import the ec3 but the eac3, he try to import but failed. i test it with a extract eac3 from a mkv and there is no problem. i open both files in mediainfo and can’t see any different. maybe you can say what i do wrong?

        THX

        Reply
      2. Alex

        Hey,
        maybe you know a solution.
        I use the macos app from mkvtoolnix. To convert, I use the compressor app from apple. Adobe audition unfortunately no longer supports Dolby as export. When I import the ac3 that I converted into mkvtoolnix, it always shows me audiofile as a video file. I can select general ac3, video or audio ac3 in the settings when converting. The result is alway the same. If i use a vm and take eac3to, he shows it to me cleanly as an ac3 file. i google the problem and only finde a post that the problem is already solves.

        I have another problem with wave to dd + (ec3 / eac3). I convert that with the compressor app in dd+ ec3 and rename it eac3. then he shows me the message that is not supported. I extracted another audio file eac3 as a test from an mkv and imported it into mkvtoolnix, everything works here. I compared both files with mediainfo but couldn’t find any differences. maybe you can tell me what i’m doing wrong.

        Greetings and thank you

        Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *