I thought today would be a good day for a new release of MKVToolNix: v22.0.0 is here. Celebrating the official announcement of AV1, this is the first release that contains support for that format as well (still some things to do, though). Other than that the info tool in the GUI has been improved quite a bit.
The Windows and macOS binaries are available already. The Linux binaries are still being built and will be available of the course of the next couple of hours.
Here are the NEWS since the previous release:
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI multiplexer: AC-3, DTS, TrueHD: added an option for
removing/minimizing the dialog normalization gain for all supported types of
the mentioned codecs. Implements #1981.
- mkvmerge: AV1: added support for reading AV1 video from IVF, WebM and
- mkvmerge: FLAC: mkvmerge can now ignore ID3 tags in FLAC files which would
otherwise prevent mkvmerge from detecting the file type. Implements #2243.
- mkvinfo: the size and positions of frames within "SimpleBlock" and
"BlockGroup" elements are now shown the same way they’re shown for other
elements (by adding the
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added options for deriving the track languages
from the file name by searching for ISO 639-1/639-2 language codes or
language names enclosed in non-word, non-space characters (e.g. "…[ger]…"
for German or "…+en+…" for English). Implements #1808.
- MKVToolNix GUI: info tool: implemented reading all elements in the file
after the first cluster. Only top-level elements are shown; child elements
are only loaded on demand. Implements the rest of #2104.
- MKVToolNix GUI: info tool: added a context menu with the option to show a
hex dump of the element with the bytes making up the EBML ID and the size
portion highlighted in different colors. In-depth highlighting is done for
the data in
- MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: added an option to remove all end timestamps
to the "additional modifications" dialog. Implements #2231.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: fixed reading the ESDS audio header atom if it is
located inside a "wave" atom inside the "stsd" atom.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: AAC audio tracks signalling eight channels in the
track headers but only seven in the codec-specific configuration will be
treated as having eight channels.
- mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: fixed wrong handling of the continuity counter for
TS packets that signal that TS payload is present but where the adaptation
field spans the whole TS packet.
- mkvmerge: the ‘document type version’ and ‘document type read version’
header fields are now set depending on which elements are actually written,
not on which features are active (e.g. if a
SimpleBlockis never written,
then the ‘read version’ won’t be set to 2 anymore). Part of the fix for
- mkvmerge: the ‘document type version’ header field is now set to 4 correctly
if any of the version 4 Matroska elements is written. Part of the fix for
- mkvinfo: summary mode: the file positions reported for frames in
BlockGroupelements did not take the bytes used for information such as
timestamp, track number flags or lace sizes into account. They were
therefore too low.
- mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI header editor: the ‘document type version’ and
‘document type read version’ header fields are now updated if elements
written by the changes require higher version numbers. Part of the fix for
- mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI header editor: mandatory elements can now be
deleted if there’s a default value for them in the specifications. Fixes
- source code: fixed a compilation error on FreeBSD with clang++ 5.0. Fixes
Build system changes
- A compilation database (in the form of a file
be built automatically if the variable
Have fun :)