I’ve released MKVToolNix v7.7.0. It contains many bug fixes but also interesting new features like keeping the AC3 core of TrueHD+AC3 tracks and reducing DTS-HD tracks to their lossy core (both of those are optiona, of course).
Note that the portable versions for Windows do NOT contain the preview of the new GUI anymore. The reason is that many users thought it to be the GUI to run due to its file name (experimental, buggy, incomplete preview version: mkvtoolnix-gui.exe; old but stable and working version: mmg.exe). The installers still include it as the installer also creates properly named start menu entries.
Nothing has changed for package maintainers.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since the previous release:
- 2015-02-28 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- Released v7.7.0.
- 2015-02-28 Lionel Fourquaux <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- source code: Fixed the compilation on cygwin.
- 2015-02-27 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- documentation: The Dutch, Ukrainian and Chinese (Simplified) manual pages have contained only untranslated English strings since release 7.0.0. This was due to the files holding the translatable strings having being corrupted by a misbehaving tool in the build process. This has been rectified. Fixes #1134,
- 2015-02-25 Mats Peterson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- 2015-02-25 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mmg: new feature: added a button »toggle all« that enables or disables all tracks. It at least one track is currently disabled then all tracks are enabled when pressing that button. Otherwise (if all tracks are currently enabled) then they will all be disabled. Implements #1130.
- mmg: new feature: added a new checkbox »reduce to audio core« on the »format-specific options« tab that passes the new –reduce-to-core option to mkvmerge if enabled. Part of the implementation of #1107.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed determining the key frame status in certain AVIs (those whose dwFlags index field has more bits set than just 0x10).
- build system: new feature: added configure options for building statically-linked binaries (–enable-static). Patches by Florent Thiéry. Implements #1119.
- mkvextract: new feature: implemented a mode for extracting cue information.
- 2015-02-24 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvinfo (Qt interface): bug fix: added WebM extensions to the known types in the »Open file« dialog.
- 2015-02-23 Mats Peterson <email@example.com>
- mkvextract: bug fix: Fixed writing AVIs with the wrong bit depth for video codecs that don’t use 24 bits/pixel. Fixes #1123.
- 2015-02-23 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed recognition of E-AC3 audio tracks in MPEG transport streams if they use the type ID 0xa1 (and the same for DTS tracks stored with type ID 0xa2). Fixes #1126.
- mkvextract: bug fix: Fixed VobSubs being written to the wrong directory if the output file name given by the user didn’t have an extension but one of the directories contained a dot. Fixes #1124.
- mkvpropedit, mmg’s header editor: bug fix: if updating the file required creating an EBML void for a 130 bytes long gap then the void element created was one byte too short resulting in an invalid file structure. Fixes #1121.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: If the MP4 track headers for MP3 tracks contain invalid values (number of channels is 0 or the sampling rate is 0) then mkvmerge will re-derive these parameters from the MP3 bitstream instead of ignoring that track.
- 2015-02-18 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Matroska reader: track-specific tags weren’t copied for tracks for which the pass-through packetizer was used (e.g. those with the codec ID A_MS/ACM) instead of a specialized one.
- 2015-02-14 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: enhancement: The code for determining the time codes of AAC, AC3, DTS, MP3 and TrueHD packets has been completely rewritten. This improves how timecodes are kept if the source container provides them in many cases.
- mkvmerge: removal: AAC: The hack for using the old codec IDs (e.g. A_AAC/MPEG4/LC/SBR) for AAC tracks has been removed. Those codec IDs have been deprecated for nearly ten years. Reading files that use those IDs will stay supported.
- mkvmerge: removal: TrueHD: The hack for merging a sync frame and all following normal frames into a single Matroska packet has been removed as there are no players that can play such merged frames anyway.
- 2015-02-12 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: new feature: Added an option »–reduce-to-core« that tells mkvmerge not to copy HD extensions for DTS tracks. Part of the implementation of #1107.
- mkvmerge: new feature: mkvmerge will now recognize TrueHD tracks inside MPEG transport streams that contain an AC3 core as consisting of two tracks. Instead of always dropping the AC3 part the user can simply select which tracks to keep. Part of the implementation of #1107.
- 2015-02-10 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: new feature: mkvmerge will now recognize TrueHD+AC3 files as consisting of two tracks. Instead of always dropping the AC3 part the user can simply select which tracks to keep. Part of the implementation of #1107.