A new year, a new release – v8.8.0. Only ten days since 8.7.0, but a lot of users are hitting a regression in 8.7.0 that makes mkvmerge crash. The user-visible result is that the GUI (wrongfully) claims that the mkvmerge executable couldn’t be found. The underlying cause is a bug in the TrueHD detection code wrongfully thinking a file is indeed a TrueHD file while it actually isn’t – e.g. it’s happened with MPEG 2 video files, DTS files, h.264/AVC files etc.
Still, several enhancements and new features have been implemented in these ten days as well. Therefore this release is 8.8.0 and not 8.7.1.
Nothing has changed for package maintainers compared to v8.7.0.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since the previous release:
- 2016-01-10 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- Released v8.8.0.
- 2016-01-09 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: "run program after XYZ" enhancement: added a button for executing the program right now as a test run. See #1570.
- MKVToolNix GUI: "run program after XYZ" enhancement: an error message is shown if the program couldn’t be executed. See #1570.
- MKVToolNix GUI: "run program after XYZ" enhancement: any leading spaces in the executable path are removed in order to make copying & pasting less error-prone.
- MKVToolNix GUI: "run program after XYZ" bug fix: the paths used in the variables and the executable are converted to the platforms native path separators. This fixes compatibility with Windows applications that don’t support the use of forward slashes in path names like e.g. VLC. See #1570.
- 2016-01-08 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvpropedit: enhancement: mkvpropedit will accept terminology variants of ISO 639-2 language codes and convert them to the bibliographic variants automatically. Implements #1565.
- 2016-01-06 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: the GUI’s default font’s size is now scaled with the screen’s DPI and is at least 9 points high (up from 8). Additionally on Windows "Segoe UI", which is Windows’ default user interface font, is used instead of the default provided by Qt, "MS Shell Dlg 2".
- MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: the user can select the font family and size for the GUI in the preferences.
- 2016-01-04 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed TrueHD detection both as raw streams as well as inside other contains if the stream does not start with a TrueHD sync frame.
- 2016-01-03 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: new merge tool feature: added a layout for the track properties where they’re on the right of the files/tracks lists in two fixed columns. Implements #1526.
- 2016-01-02 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed a mis-detection of an MPEG-2 video elementary stream as a TrueHD file which then caused a segmentation fault. Fixes #1559.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Matroska attachments with the same name, size and MIME type were not output during file identification.
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: added a column to the "attachments" tab containing the file size.
- MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: pressing the insert key when the focus is on the merge tool’s source files or attachments list, on the chapter editor’s chapter list or on the header editor’s list will invoke the corresponding action for adding elements to that list.
- 2016-01-01 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: when using one of the "select all tracks (of type…)" actions the "properties" column didn’t show the selection.
- MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: implemented adding, changing and removing attachments in existing Matroska files as part of the header editor. Implements #1533.
Have fun :)