I’ve released MKVToolNix v8.5.1 only four days after 8.5.0. The reason is that Cisco’s Talos Research Group has found several cases of invalid memory access and instances of freeing memory twice in libEBML (TALOS-CAN-0036, TALOS-CAN-0037). The consequences range from heap information disclosure to denial of service.
Those issues have been fixed along with some more cases of invalid memory access discovered while investigating the TALOS-CAN reports. New releases of libEBML (v1.3.3) and libMatroska (v1.4.4) were made yesterday. Today’s release of MKVToolNix incorporates both updated libraries, and its build system requires at least those versions if you want to use globally-installed copies.
As MKVToolNix and therefore both libEBML and libMatroska are often used to process content from arbitrary sources I highly recommend everyone to upgrade.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since the previous release:
- 2015-10-21 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Released v8.5.1.
- 2015-10-20 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- build system: libEBML v1.3.3 and libMatroska v1.4.4 are now required due to important fixes for invalid memory accesses in those two releases. The copies included in the MKVToolNix source code have been updated to those releases as well.
- 2015-10-19 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix: the "save file" dialogs did not have the currently entered file name pre-selected anymore. Fixes #1480.
- MKVToolNix GUI: header editor enhancement: several track properties like name or language are shown as columns in the tree for easier distinction between tracks. They’re also shown on the overview page on the right when that track’s entry is selected in the tree. The text in the labels on this overview page can be selected with the mouse for copying & pasting elsewhere.
- 2015-10-18 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix: fixed a crash when loading corrupted job settings.
- MKVToolNix GUI: header editor bug fix: the tree items weren’t re-translated when the GUI language was changed.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: updating the track headers wasn’t working in some rare cases (corresponding error message "Re-rendering track headers: data_size != 0 not implemented yet").
- 2015-10-17 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix (Linux): the function "open folder" was inserting a superfluous leading slash in the directory name. This causes some file managers (in this particular case Dolphin on Linux) to interpret a directory name like "//home/mosu/…" as a share called "mosu" on a Samba/Windows server called "home" and to prepend the whole name with the "smb://" protocol. Fixes #1479.
I’ve released MKVToolNix v8.5.0. It contains the usual mix of bug fixes and enhancements, most of them for the GUI but some for mkvmerge, too. Most of these correspond directly to entries in the issue tracker.
There’s one small change for package maintainers: there’s a new translation of the man pages into Catalan.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since the previous release:
- 2015-10-17 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- Released v8.5.0.
- 2015-10-16 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: the cropping parameters contained the "cropping:" prefix twice in the verbose identification output.
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: when dropping files onto the GUI the last file’s directory is remembered as the last directory a file was opened from causing the next open file dialog to start in that directory. Implements #1477.
- all: new feature: added a Catalan translation of the man pages by Antoni Bella Pérez (see AUTHORS).
- 2015-10-15 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- 2015-10-14 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: pressing the delete key in the attachments list removes the selected entries. Implements #1473.
- 2015-10-13 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: if the last directory opened doesn’t exist anymore then default to one that does in order to prevent an error message from older Windows versions about a location not being available. Fixes #1438.
- 2015-10-10 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: the context menu for the status bar job status counters is now shown when the user clicks with any mouse button, not just the right one. This should make the feature easier to discover. Implements #1396.
- MKVToolNix GUI: new job queue feature: added an option in the preferences for resetting the warning and error counters of all jobs and the global counters in the status bar to 0 when exiting the program. Implements #1437.
- MKVToolNix GUI: current job output enhancement: the separator lines for warnings and errors ("— Warnings emitted by Job … started on … —") are only shown when warnings/errors actually occur and not for each job that’s run.
- 2015-10-09 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix: the menus that are currently not shown are disabled properly so that they don’t react to keyboard shortcuts anymore. This affected e.g. Alt+J with the English localization as there were three shortcuts active: the "add to job queue" button (if the merge tool is active), the "job queue" menu and the "job output" menu.
- 2015-10-08 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix (Windows): changed some options for Qt’s file dialogs in order to speed up access to network shares in certain situations. Fixes #1459.
- 2015-10-06 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: enhancement: improved identification output for DTS 96/24. Implements #1431.
- 2015-10-04 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: PCM tracks: if the number of samples per packet varies then no default duration will be written. Fixes #1426.
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: added buttons for previewing the character sets for text subtitles read from SRT and SSA/ASS files as well as for chapter files. They’re located next to the drop down boxes for the character sets on the input and output tabs.
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: added buttons next to the ‘segment UID’, ‘previous segment UID’ and ‘next segment UID’ controls that enable the user to select a Matroska file. The GUI reads that file’s segment UID and enters its value into the corresponding control. Part of the implementation of #1363.
- mkvmerge: new feature: The three options that use segment UIDs (–segment-uid, –link-to-previous and –link-to-next) can now read the segment UID of an existing Matroska file. For this the file’s name must be given as an argument prefixed with = (e.g. ‘–segment-uid =some_file.mkv’). Implements #1363.
- MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor enhancement: Added another variable to the chapter name templates called <START> which is replaced by the chapter’s start timestamp. An optional format can be specified, e.g. <START:%H:%M:%S.%3n> resulting in something like 01:35:27.734. This can be used in the ‘generate sub-chapters’ or the ‘renumber sub-chapters’ functionality. Implements #1445.
- 2015-10-03 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: If there’s currently no source file present when the user drags & drops files onto the merge tool then the GUI will no longer leave an empty, superfluous tab for certain drop modes. Fixes #1446.
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: implemented the optional warning before overwriting existing files when starting to mux or adding a job to the queue. The pending jobs in the queue are checked for the same destination file name as well. Implements #1390.
- MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: pressing the delete key in the chapter editor and the job queue removes the selected entries. Implements #1454.
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: dropping chapter, tag and segment info files from external applications will cause those file names to be added to the appropriate controls on the ‘output’ tab. Implements #1332 and 1345.
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: the feature "default track language" has been split into track languages by type. There are now three separate settings for audio, video and subtitle tracks. Implements #1338.
- 2015-09-29 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: enhancement: the verbose identification for MP4 files will now derive basic audio parameters of MP3 and AC3 tracks from the bitstream instead of relying on the values in the track headers.
- 2015-09-27 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- MKVToolNix GUI: new merge tool feature: implemented an optional vertical layout mode for the "input" tab in which the track properties are shown below the track list. Implements #1304.
- 2015-09-26 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: the "default track flag in output" column wasn’t updated properly directly after loading settings.
- 2015-09-25 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: when browsing for chapter files on the "output" tab the initial directory is the first input file’s directory instead of the directory accessed last.
- MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: the cropping parameters were not converted into parameters for mkvmerge at all.
- 2015-09-22 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- all: several ISO 639-2 codes of languages that are very old and not spoken anymore have been removed (e.g. "English, Middle (1100-1500)").
- MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: on Windows the drop down boxes were elliding overlong text. This has been changed to making the open combo boxes’ scroll areas wide enough to contain the whole entries. This matches the behavior of Qt on other operating systems.
- all: fixed the spelling of the AC-3, E-AC-3 and VC-1 codec names.
- 2015-09-21 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- MKVToolNix GUI: new merge tool feature: added context menu entries for opening the selected files/the source files of selected tracks in MediaInfo. Implements #1423.
- 2015-09-20 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix: the interface language selection has been improved not to select wrong entries resulting in error messages from mkvmerge about unknown translations. Fixes #1434.
- MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix: if the Windows version of the GUI was started from a symbolically linked folder then it would crash when the user added a file. Fixes #1315.