I’ve released MKVToolNix 6.0.0. It packs quite a punch: several new features, a couple of bugfixes. The new features include a reader for the FlashVideo file format (.flv — yes, for those YouTube videos), splitting by frame/field numbers, splitting by chapter numbers, splitting into parts by frame/field numbers, reading VobSubs from MP4 files and the ability to save additional command line options as default options in mmg.
Then there’s a major change regarding one of the most controversial features in MKVToolNix: header removal compression has been turned off by default in both mkvmerge and mmg.
The list of fixed bugs is even longer than the one for new features, so please look at the ChangeLog below for the details.
There are three things to note for package maintainers: the source code archive is now compressed with xz instead of bzip2 (file name ends in …tar.xz); Boost’s “variant” library is now required; MKVToolNix still requires its bundled versions of libEBML and libMatroska because new versions of them haven’t been released yet (just like in 5.9.0).
All of the binaries that I provide myself are already available.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since release 5.9.0:
- 2013-01-20 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Released v6.0.0.
- 2013-01-14 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: new feature: Implemented splitting by parts based on frame/field numbers ("–split parts-frames:" in mkvmerge). Implements #819.
- 2013-01-13 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- 2013-01-12 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix in the MP4 reader: Fixed language code conversion from what is used in MP4 to the ISO 639-2 codes used in Matroska (e.g. convert from "deu" to "ger").
- Source distribution: source code archives (tarballs) will be compressed with xz instead of bzip2 from now on. The file name’s extension will therefore change from ".tar.bz2" to ".tar.xz". The download URL changes accordingly.
- 2013-01-11 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- 2013-01-08 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mmg: new feature: Command line options can be saved as default for new jobs by clicking a check box in the "add command line options" dialog.
- 2013-01-02 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mmg: bug fix: Fixed a crash in the chapter editor if the root was selected and the user used the "Set values" button.
- 2013-01-01 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge, mmg: removal: The ‘header removal compression’ method is not turned on by default anymore. This affects the following track types: AC3, AVC/h.264, Dirac, DTS, MP3. The setting in mmg that turned it off by default has been removed.
- 2012-12-31 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: new feature: Added experimental support for the Opus audio codec. Parts of an implementation of #779.
- 2012-12-28 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: "text"-type tracks in MP4 files are only treated as chapters if their track ID is listed on a "chap" atom inside a "tref" track reference atom. Fixes #815.
- 2012-12-27 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- 2012-12-25 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: enhancement: Removed several warnings from the MPEG-2 video parser code about open GOPs, missing references. Those were too confusing for most users, even after being given additional information via email and FAQs.
- mkvextract: new feature: Implemented extraction of ALAC into Core Audio Format files (CAF). Implements #786.
- 2012-12-23 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- 2012-12-22 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- Build system: Boost’s "variant" library is now required.
- 2012-12-17 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: ISO 639-2 language handling: The deprecated language codes "scr", "scc" and "mol" are replaced by their respective successors "hrv", "srp" and "rum". Fixes #803.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Matroska reader: Fixed finding the "segment info" element if it is located behind the clusters.
- 2012-12-16 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: MP3 parser code: Fixed skipping ID3 tags so that the header directly behind the ID3 tag is recognized properly. Fixes #747.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: MP4 reader: Fixed handling of edit lists if the edit list is used to adjust the track’s timecodes by a fixed amount (either positive or negative). Fixes #780.
- 2012-12-10 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvpropedit: bug fix: Giving a non-existent file name in tags mode will result in a proper error message. Fixes #806.