Monthly Archives: December 2012

Forum closed again, FAQ moved

I’ve decided to close the MKVToolNix forum that was available at ​https://www.bunkus.org/answers/. The FAQ that the forum contained as well has been moved to my trac wiki. Why?

Reasons for starting a forum

The forum was meant as another way to communicate with the users of MKVToolNix. I had hoped it would also attract some more people that would answer questions and share their knowledge. Unfortunately the only one answering was actually myself. That gave me no advantage over regular email communication.

A second hope was that people would use search engines and find answers if their question or similar questions had been asked before. However, judging from the emails and forum posts over the period of time the forum was available this hope wasn’t fulfilled either.

On top of all that the average quality of the questions asked on the forum was worse than the quality of questions asked by email.

The cost of hosting a forum

I decided that the cost of hosting such a forum was to high for me (and I don’t mean money):

  • the time it takes to set up the software & configure the server for it,
  • the time it takes me to fight against malicious people (e.g. forum spammers),
  • the hassle of having to keep up with yet another information source,
  • the hassle of having to use web-based editors for composing answers instead of my favorite editor (which can be run from my email application),
  • the danger of running yet another web application: you have to update it constantly in cases of security issues, you have to monitor releases of the application, you have to merge new releases with the changes you’ve made locally (both to the code in order to fix bugs and to the style sheets)
  • dealing with some people even lazier than those that contact me by email.

Therefore I’ve decided to close the forum. The FAQ entries have been moved over to my trac wiki. I’ve also expanded on some of those entries during the move, added a few more and discarded one or two that were severely outdated.

MKVToolNix 5.9.0 released

Hey,

I’ve released v5.9.0.

I’ve released MKVToolNix v5.9.0. It fixes several bugs: 793 (appending empty subtitle tracks); 795 (file names containing ‘%’ read from .mmg files); reading linked seek heads in mkvmerge (fixes mkvmerge not finding attachments after usage of mkvpropedit); 801 & 802 (discarding EBML void elements when writing and reading XML chapter files); 804 (mkvmerge will keep timecodes of PCM tracks read from containers that provide timecodes); 805 (reading seek position elements bigger than 2 GB).

Enhancements include writing the newly introduced elements “cue duration” and “cue relative position” which provide more detailed information for seeking. Due to this compilation requires new versions of libEBML (1.3.0) and libMatroska (1.4.0), neither of which has been released yet: they’re only available from the Subversion repository so far. However, MKVToolNix comes bundled with internal copies of both libraries which will be used.

Here are the usual links: the home page, the source code and the Windows installer and 7zip archive.

All of the binaries that I provide myself are already available.

Here’s the full ChangeLog since release 5.8.0:

  • 2012-12-09 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
    • Released v5.9.0.
    • mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed reading seek position values bigger than 2 GB. Fixes #805.
  • 2012-12-08 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
    • mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed appending non-empty tracks to empty tracks. Fixes #793.
    • mkvmerge: bug fix: mkvmerge will now keep timecodes of PCM tracks from source files if they’re available. Fixes #804.
  • 2012-12-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
    • all: bug fix: EBML void elements will be skipped when reading structures from XML (e.g. chapters). Fixes #802.
  • 2012-12-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
    • all: bug fix: EBML void elements will be skipped when saving structures to XML (e.g. chapters). Fixes #801.
    • mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed reading linked seek heads in Matroska files.
  • 2012-11-13 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
    • mmg: bug fix: Fixed reading file names containing a ‘%’ from a .mmg settings file (both normally saved files and the job queue files). Fixes #795.
  • 2012-10-08 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
    • mkvmerge: enhancement: Dirac video code: Added four more pre-defined video types from Dirac spec v2.2.2 and two from Dirac Pro.
  • 2012-09-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
    • mkvmerge, mmg: enhancement: Added options for turning off writing "CueDuration" elements ("–engage no_cue_duration") and "CueRelativePosition" elements ("–engage no_cue_relative_positions").
    • mkvmerge: new feature: The element "CueRelativePosition" is written for all cue entries.
    • mkvmerge: new feature: The element "CueDuration" will be written for all cue entries referring to subtitle tracks.
    • mkvmerge: new feature: mkvmerge will write cues for subtitle tracks by default now.
    • mkvinfo: new feature: added support for the new elements CueDuration, CueRelativePosition and TimecodeScaleDenimonator. The denominator’s value is only shown so far but not taken into account when calculating any timecode.
    • mkvpropedit, mmg, mkvmerge: removal: removed support for the deprecated element TrackTimecodeScale.

Have fun.