I’ve released MKVToolNix 6.6.0. I’m trying to get back on a release cycle of roughly six weeks between minor versions (minor being the middle part of the version number). So releases may happen more often than over the summer but contain few changes.
This release fixes a couple of bugs and greatly improves the compatibility to the newly released wxWidgets 3.0.0. A new translation into Portuguese has been added, and you can now re-order chapters in the chapter editor with the usual drag & drop operations.
Nothing has changed for package maintainers compared to the previous release, v6.5.0.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since release 6.5.0:
- 2013-12-01 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Released v6.6.0.
- mmg: new feature: implemented drag & drop in the chapter editor. Implements #929.
- 2013-11-24 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mmg: bug fix: fixed an assertion in wxLogMessage() due to wrong format string/argument data types caused by changes in wxWidgets 3.0.0. See Debian bug #730273.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: improved resilience against MP4 files with obviously wrong entries in the ‘sample size table’ (STSZ) atom.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: improved VC1 frame type detection so that it works even for streams without entry points.
- 2013-11-14 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvinfo: bug fix: at most the lower 32bits of the track numbers and track UIDs elements were output, even if the element in the file used more bits. Fixes #935.
- 2013-11-02 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed accessing invalid memory in the memory handling core routines. May be triggered by the code to remove filler NALUs introduced in v6.5.0. Fixes #931.
- 2013-10-26 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mmg: bug fix: fixed the tracks list box on the input tab being invisible/0 pixels high with wxWidgets 2.9.x/3.x.
- all: integrated the Portuguese translation. Although the translation files themselves had been added back in 6.3.0 that translation wasn’t available for selection due to forgetfulness on my part.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: The file detection code in the MPEG elementary stream reader had a logic error. Fixes #928. In practice this logic error didn’t have any consequence.
I’ve released MKVToolNix 6.5.0. One new feature is present: support for the VP9 video codec (reading it from IVF and Matroska/WebM files, extracting it into IVF files). A German translation of the man pages has been added as well. Several minor bugs have been fixed here and there.
For package maintainers nothing has changed compared to 6.4.1.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since release 6.4.1:
- 2013-10-19 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- Released v6.5.0.
- mkvmerge: enhancement: filler NALUs will now be removed from framed h.264/AVC tracks (such as the ones read from Matroska/MP4 files) just like they have already been when handling unframed tracks.
- mkvextract: new feature: implemented support for extracting VP9 tracks into IVF files.
- mkvmerge: new feature: implemented support for VP9 read from IVF and Matroska/WebM files. Implements #899.
- mkvextract: enhancement: using the same track/attachment ID multiple times in "tracks", "attachments" or "timecodes_v2" mode will result in an error message instead of one empty file. Implements #914.
- mmg: bug fix: With wxWidgets 2.9.x/3.0.x debug message will no longer appear as modal dialogs but only go to the log window.
- 2013-10-18 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed a crash when reading empty global tag files. Fixes #921.
- 2013-10-17 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- build system: bug fix: fix autodetection of Boost’s library path if it is installed in the multiarch directories (e.g. /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu or /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu).
- 2013-10-04 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mmg: bug fix: saved window widths were growing by 1 pixel each time mmg was exited.
- 2013-10-03 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- documentation: Added a German translation of the man pages by Chris Leick (see AUTHORS).
- 2013-10-02 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Reading OGM files with chapter entries not encoded in the system’s local character set has been fixed. During identification the number of chapter entries is still output by removing any non-ASCII characters from the chapter entries. When muxing an additional warning is output if parsing those chapter entries fails, e.g. due to the format being wrong or due to the charset guessed wrongly. Fixes #919.
- 2013-09-17 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: The "duration" element was calculated wrong if the first element in the file wasn’t the one with the smallest timestamp. To be precise, it was too short by the difference between the first timestamp and the smallest one (e.g with video sequences timestamped 80ms, 0ms, 40ms, 120ms… the duration was 80ms too short).
I’ve released MKVToolNix 6.4.1 only one day after the release of 6.4.0 due to a nasty regression in 6.4.0 compared to 6.3.0. This release fixes that single bug only. For reference I’ll include the previous release message including the new ChangeLog entries. Note that only the source and Windows packages have been uploaded yet; the Linux binaries are still being built.
I’ve released MKVToolNix 6.4.0. Not a lot has happened over the summer, but the Opus support has been finalized. A couple of bug fixes here and there as well, especially regarding startup problems on Windows (the mmg window not appearing). However, the next release should feature HEVC support, and I didn’t want to hold off the release until that’s been finished as it may still take a couple of weeks. So here you go.
For package maintainers: you need libMatroska 1.4.1 due to new elements, a version that hasn’t been released yet (libEBML requirements stay at the already-released 1.3.0). MKVToolNix’ configure will fall back to the included version and build it statically. I’m sorry for this, and this is not intentional but due to severe lack of time on my side these past weeks. I’ll try to release said library within the next two or three week. So feel free to hold off packaging this MKVToolNix version until then.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since release 6.3.0:
- 2013-09-16 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Released v6.4.1.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed packet ordering regression introduced in 6.4.0 if –default-duration is used for a track.
- 2013-09-15 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- Released v6.4.0.
- mkvextract: new feature: Implemented extraction of Opus tracks into OggOpus files.
- 2013-09-14 Monty Montgomery <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvinfo: bug fix: The track information summary enabled with -t/–track-info counted bytes in SimpleBlocks twice.
- 2013-07-19 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: CueRelativePosition was wrong for BlockGroups: it pointed to the Block inside the group instead of the BlockGroup itself. CueRelativePosition elements for SimpleBlock elements are not affected. Fixes #903.
- 2013-07-05 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: new feature: Implemented final Opus muxing.
- 2013-07-04 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mmg: bug fix: The "jobs" folder will be created in the same mmg.exe is located in for the portable version. The installed version will still keep the folder where has already been (%APP_DATA%\mkvtoolnix\jobs).
- mmg: bug fix: Closing mmg’s window while it was minimized caused mmg to appear hidden and unmovable when started the next time.
- 2013-07-03 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mmg: bug fix: Fixed overly long startup time with wxWidgets 2.9.x (especially on Windows) by using alternative methods for initializing certain controls. Makes startup time on par with wxWidgets 2.8. See #893.
- 2013-07-02 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvinfo: new feature: Added support for the new Matroska elements DiscardPadding, CodecDelay and SeekPreRoll.
- build system: libMatroska 1.4.1 is now required for building.
I’ve released MKVToolNix 6.3.0. It fixes a couple of minor issues and contains only two small enhancements: saving the window positions and mmg being truly portable now (if it’s not installed via the installer).
For package maintainers: nothing’s changed compared to MKVToolNix 6.2.0.
Here’s the full ChangeLog since release 6.2.0:
- 2013-06-27 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Released v6.3.0.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: When appending unframed AVC/h.264 tracks and setting the default duration the second and all following source parts will use the same default duration as set for the first part. Fixes #889.
- all: enhancement (Windows only): mmg will store its settings in a file "mkvtoolnix.ini" in the same folder mmg.exe is located in if MKVToolNix hasn’t been installed via its installer. If it has been installed then the settings are stored in the Windows registry. This way MKVToolNix is truly portable.
- mmg: new feature: mmg’s windows and dialogs will remember and restore their positions and sizes. Implements #878.
- 2013-06-26 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: AVC/h.264 output module: fixed writing the wrong values if –fix-bitstream-timing-information is used. Fixes #888.
- 2013-06-24 Moritz Bunkus <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mkvmerge: bug fix: FLV reader: Implemented deriving the video dimensions for FLV1 type tracks from the frame content if they’re not given within a script tag. Fixes #880.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed handling MPEG transport streams with broken PES packet streams. Fixes #879 and #887.
- mkvextract: bug fix: mkvextract writes the correct value for the "block alignment" value in the header of WAV files (mostly affects mono PCM audio tracks). Fixes #883.
- 2013-05-26 Moritz Bunkus <email@example.com>
- all: new feature: added a Portuguese translation of the programs by Ricardo Perdigão (see AUTHORS).